Wednesday, June 5, 2013

WILD: from lost to found on the pacific crest trail


Something to pick up...Wild by Cheryl Strayed... Cheryl backpacks the Pacific Crest Trail from Tehachapi Pass in Sequoia National Park just north of LA continuing up through Portland, OR to Bridge of the Gods. After the death of her mother and divorce, she searches for the path to healing. Cheryl begins that process on the PCT.

 
            Trout fishing at frog lake with view of Mt. Hood last summer

Last night, I read a passage about Crater Lake that I'd love to share. We've all gone through hard times. I know this because I've shared my life with my clients/friends and you've shared your experiences with me...I miss all of you in Portland, but I'm excited for a rebirth here in the sun of La Jolla. While reading it I was reminded of one of my clients. She came in a few times a year with wild, thick, red hair. She would bring poetry early on a Sunday morning when we had the salon to ourselves. And, she would read to me. We would relate it to our lives or the lives of her young children. Those were beautiful Sunday mornings. This is something I would have brought to share ...So, now I will share it here:)

dedicated my special Portland friends.


                       crater lake view of Wizard Island

This was once Mazama, I kept reminding myself. This was once a mountain that stood nearly 12, 000 feet tall and then had its heart removed. This was once a wasteland of lava and pumice and ash. This was once an empty bowl that took hundreds of years to fill. But hard as I tried, I couldn't see them in my mind's eye. Not the mountain or the wasteland or the empty bowl. They simply were not there anymore. There was only the stillness and silence of that water: what a mountain and a wasteland and an empty bowl turned into after the healing began.

 -CHERYL STRAYED, WILD

more quotes from Wild

oprahbookclub


No comments:

Post a Comment