Friday, September 3, 2010

The Making of a Gaga inspired Hair Piece

Okay...Here's the process..

Phase 1 following Paloma Soledad's drawing to create the shape for her hair... I used what might be electrical wire..It was left over from another shoot..It was flexible, and I thought it would be softer and more comfortable to wear..But, it turns out nothing with tons of pins and fake hair... and a headdress... is comfortable for 11 hrs...Thanks Myken for being a trooper!!







So, to create the holes I measured wrapping paper tubes..And, the card board on top was to keep the shape flat..Later we changed it to be more bendable..


Here you can see the beginnings of the wire mesh on the head piece and my work space...I couldn't figure out how to get the caribou antlers on the wall so they lived on the table for about a week.
Here I am sewing the mesh section by section with metal thread..


up close....

What it's like on before hair was added..


Spray painted brown so that wire wouldn't show...

Hair was then glued to the form, sewed on to secure it and create movement, and the models hair and extensions were pinned up over it the day of to create a natural flow...


this was the first trial with Miken and Paloma...I had tried adding blue wool around the holes..But, adding the color really didn't work and made it more like a Brillo pad..So, hair was later glued over it...
Here you can really see because of the lighting that we pinned extensions in over the covered hair piece to blend her short bob...

Pinning in extensions to disguise her hairline..You can also see Paloma's inspirational drawing on the mirror..

Taking a break to get her makeup done...all of the long hair is the added extensions which will be pinned up over the form...

Back stage of the fashion show for the pre lady Gaga Show in the Rose room...Do you like my white afro..I wanted it to be easy for the models to spot who they needed to go to for hairspray and pinning:)The finished product!!! I think it was perfect...The only thing I would change was how to attach it more comfortably..I used bobby pins and metal clips...



What a fun...project...I hope I have the energy again to create something like this when Gaga rolls into town again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment