Friday, November 4, 2011

Jackie Kennedy


From as early as I can remember I sat in my grandmother's house in New Jersey looking at dolls, plates, photos, and books of Gone With the Wind, My Fair Lady, Fred Astaire, Emily Post Etiquette, Frank Sinatra, The Regan's and The Kennedy's. My Italian grandmother had an idea of who she liked and who she did not approve of, and no one can argue that Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis was a woman whose style changed the history of fashion.

If I had Barbies of these stars at the time, I would have played with Jackie as kind of my political version of Audrey Hepburn...Or, if they were on the MTV Celebrity Death Match, would they both come out in big sunglasses, and what would their weapons be? I wonder if their lives crossed.. Jacqueline Kennedy May 4, 1929-Jan. 1993, and Audrey Hepburn July 1929-May 1994..hhhmmm...I wish they could have hung out as close friends...



Here are some fun facts about the 35th First Lady

Did you know?

1. Jackie Kennedy redecorated every room in the White House, and her video tour won her an Emmy for public service.

2. Oleg Cassini designed her wardrobe in the colors of Renaissance paintings.

3.
Her questions on style are still relevant today..."All this talk over what I wear and how I fix my hair has amused and puzzled me. What does my hairdo have to do with my husband's ability to be President?"

The White House

So, in the salon you've heard me talk a lot about personal space and style. A person's home reveals a lot about them. It can be a reflection of how they see and experience the world.

What books are around, art, photos, plants, furniture, cozy spaces, music, cooking supplies, dishes...What inspires them? Where do they go to recharge and become whole again?


I love magazine spreads that show famous people in their homes. The way people look in their own space is often softer, more thoughtful, and relaxed compared to a studio photo shoot.


The Kennedy's valued art and history. Their goal was to restore the White House in a classic style that incorporated details from 1802, the year the White House was build. They raised money and accepted donations of furniture and art from the time period. Jackie believed everything in the White House should be there for a reason, to fit the style of the house.

This, everything has it's place, philosophy is something I'm becoming more aware of. I was at my massage therapists house last night , and the room was gray with neutral, soothing tones. There were big soft couches and tall gray cabinets with plants in the corners..a fireplace creating a warm atmosphere for friends to gather..But, a hot pink chandelier...no matter how cool..would change the entire feel of the room. I am trying to learn this personal style in my own space. It's fun to explore what makes me happy in my home.

One of my favorite blogs for style in photography, clothing, and home decor is Sarah Van Raden's blog a wee blog of things i love
Sarah is also a wardrobe stylist. She can be a great resource to help develop your own personal style.

Wardrobe

Along with the idea of everything having it's place, Jackie Kennedy stayed consistent in her wardrobe. She loved labels like Chanel, Valentino, and, Christian Dior. But, early in the campaign people were upset that she wasn't "shopping local", so she quickly adopted Oleg Cassini as her primary designer. During JFK's presidency color tv was just becoming popular, to make sure Jackie stood out elegantly in a sea of brown, black, white, and drab colors Cassini dressed her in the colors of Renaissance paintings. I think this is a lovely idea.


She stands out beautifully against her various backgrounds.

Do you think the signature white gloves are in place of hand sanitizer:)


Over the past year I've been an educator for Pureology, our colors are gray, white, and purple. It's made it easier to shop when I have a focus on this color palette. Stylists traditionally wear black, or black and white which is always fashionable but, not quite as approachable. I've really enjoyed being aware of how my personal style is changing and growing. And, I look forward to choosing 3 colors or maybe Renaissance tones to build my wardrobe.

What would a blog post be from me if I didn't include weddings:)

She has wedding dresses named for her. We play with details such as her signature tiny white gloves, full hair, or big, escape sunglasses...Her wedding dress of 50 yards of taffeta reflects her youth and the style at the time. Now with women marrying later in life I find the dresses moving away from the big princess look to a more womanly goddess dresses. We want to be someone's muse, an equal, and keep our own identity... not so much the Cinderella fairytale anymore. Our time is about creating your own story.


thoughts.

"All this talk over what I wear and how I fix my hair has amused and puzzled me. What does my hairdo have to do with my husband's ability to be President?"

I was talking to a friend about this very topic recently. How we are all judged based on our appearance. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is true. We all brand ourselves either casually not caring, overly made up, hipster, professional...whatever it is...You are speaking to the world through your style choices. We notice what others choose to wear, and it is difficult that a person's partner is often under the microscope as well whether they realized this or not going into the relationship. This actually can put a strain on things when one person doesn't think it matters what other people think when it plays a role in society. We all noticed what Jackie Kennedy wore. We talk about the great choices of Michelle Obama in her clean lines and rich, vibrant colors. We talk about Hillary Clinton's not so great fashion sense and when she refused to appear in Vogue because she doesn't believe fashion plays a role in politics. We talk about Kate Middleton and Princess Diana with their royal elegance. And, somehow we make judgements on the whole family, how they act and behave, and how they do their jobs. We feel like we know something about them...Do we?

Clothes, hair, style should not be an important way we think about others, but it is an interesting debate...Why do we do this...and Does it matter?

Jackie's famous pink Chanel Suit


easily recognizable in a crowd




love her like this:)

No comments:

Post a Comment